[SATLUG] HELP! Linux Mint install - fixing GRUB

Maurice Fox mauricejfox at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:39:19 CDT 2012

As part of reforming my existing Windows XP system, I installed Linux Mint, using a DVD made by downloading.  This was trying for dual boot, so I could make sure I got everything essential off the XP system..  The first install crashed, probably because of too much impatience on my part or too much keyboard activity.  So after licking my wounds a while, I tried again.  This time, the install seemed to go smoothly, as I kept my fingers off the keyboard as much as possible and didn't get impatient.  I had to do manual disk partitioning, but the prompts were pretty clear, plus I've done various flavors of fdisk in other environments.  I ended up with this:
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 FAT32 (something that belongs to XP, dunno what.  Very small)
/dev/sda2 NTFS (recovery partition for XP)
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1 NTFS (main XP)
/dev/sdb5 etx4 journaled (supposed to be Mint's / system)
/dev/sdb6 swap
Boot loader: /dev/sda

When everything ran to completion, it instructed me to remove the DVD, close the drive, and press Enter.  I did so, anticipating a nice dual boot menu.  Instead, I got
error: no such device 7c8bf181 etc, etc, and
grub rescue

grub rescue is NOT a marvel of user-friendly, shall we say?

I got some GRUB documentation with my Mac.  It gave me a bunch of nifty details, but did not answer they basic question:  How to get the darn thing to work?

When I restart using the CD, I try sudo update-grub, plus a bunch of other stuff like chroot, frisk -l, and so on.  No joy.
When I do ls /dev, I get
sda
sda1
sda2
sdb
sdc, etc

NOTE:  No sdb1, sdb5, sdb6

So that's where I am.  No real linux, no Windows XP.  Sure would appreciate some step-by step instructions on how to fix this, or a pointer to such a thing.

Thanks,
Maurice