[SATLUG] Re: HELP! Linux Mint install - fixing GRUB (Steev Klimaszewski

gerald sherette gsherette at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 23 14:13:36 CDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Maurice Fox <mauricejfox at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's BIOS.  This is an old (2004) HP.  Anyway, that's kind of
> academic.  I think the real question is how to mount an HD filesystem
> from Linux running off the DVD?  With that, maybe I could make some fixes
> and then run grub-update.  My other recourse is those Windows recovery
> disks that I made and saved.  That could restore XP, at least.  Finally,
> I could just give up and reinstall using the whole HD.  I might lose
> something I forgot to pull off before going for Linux.

A simpler recourse might be just to free up some space on your hard drive,
add a partition, and then try to reinstall Mint.  I'm sorry to come late to
the party but I missed the start of this thread.  However, it sounds like it
began with something like problem I struggled with for the past week.

I was trying to setup a dual boot of Windows XP and Mint 12 on an older
machine with a 40G drive. The XP was factory-installed on an NTFS partition
that took up most of the 40G. There was a small FAT32 recovery partition that
occupied the rest.

Attempts to install Linux (both Mint 12 and Kubuntu8.04) gave alot of strange
behavior  including kernel panics from GRUB.

It finally occurred to me that maybe Mint install might not be able to handle
shrinking the NTFS partition correctly. Anyway, I used a Gparted cd to remove
the partitions Linux had created, shrink Windows, and create new 10G
partition. After that the install went smoothly.

YMMV

             Jerry