[SATLUG] Re: HELP! Linux Mint install - fixing GRUB (Steev Klimaszewski

mark mark at kandm-solutions.com
Tue Apr 24 15:25:07 CDT 2012

GParted is just a program. There is a livecd version but I have had
issues with it. I would just grab a livecd of your preferred
distribution and install gparted while it is running live. Livecd's are
iso images, download one and burn it to a cd with brasero or K3b or
whatever.

I often boot into live discs, mount root or boot partitions and use
grub-install --root-directory=
to fix grub installs

As far as YMMV I have no idea.

I would boot into a livecd and run fdisk -ls
It should show something to indicate if it is GPT/UEFI
Gparted should also be able to tell you this.

A recovery partition should not impact whether grub can load or not. I
have had issues with recovery partitions and Windows loading but not
grub. This is because creating new partions in front of the recovery
partition renumbers the partitions. The Windows boot manager must be
fixed afterwards (boot.ini for XP). If grub is installed to the MBR,
recovery (hidden) partitions should not have any effect. Could it be
that grub is installed to a partition and not the MBR? Or if you have
multiple hard drives could it be that grub got installed to one drive
and the bios is passing off to another at boot time?

I have not played with GPT/UEFI at all so I can offer suggestions on
that end.