[SATLUG] Computer Show

Joe null.div.zero at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 23:10:02 CDT 2012

Hmm,  you will want at least 8GB of ram.  If you go Intel, get an i3 or
higher @ 2.4ghz.  I use vmware regularly.  And, that's a good basic
recipe.   If you're not going to compile your own slimmed down kernel,or
plan to use the host OS for your daily driver, I would use windows 7 the vm
host.  Vmware seems to run smoother and faster on windows, over a vanilla
Linux distro. I don't know what OS's you plan to virtualize, but I can
easily run win95, debian 6, and freebsd at the same time on a win 7 host.
One more note. Windows vmware machines can be moved to another machine
without breaking the license.  (As opposed to hyper-v machines, which have
to be exported, imported, and re-activated)  so, if you have a limited
number of windows keys, use a real thin kernel with a lightweight desktop.
Activate windows in a vm. Then in 4 or 5 years, when the hardware dies,
just setup a new host and copy your favorite vms to the new machine.