[SATLUG] Computer Show

Joe null.div.zero at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 00:21:01 CDT 2012

Ready made systems are good.  Walmart actually has some decent stuff,  i
saw a little netbook for $250 there last week. Don't buy a netbook!  If you
go for a laptop google the wireless card to see if others are having
trouble with it (on Linux; probably Ubuntu forums). Whatever you get make
sure the network card is supported by Linux.  Most desktops wont have wifi
built in,  so if you plan to connect by wifi, you just make sure to get a
supported wireless card later/separately. Have a look around newegg.com and
tigerdirect.com at bare bones systems.  Also, dell has an outlet section on
their site.good deas there sometimes. Anyeay, Look at the specifications.
Then compare that to the specs of complete systems from the same site. You
should start to see in detail what's available and how it compares with
your budget.  For a complete system it will need a :
Case
Case fan (probably optional or included with case)
Power supply
Motherboard
CPU
CPU fan
Ram
CD/DVD drive
Hard drive

Laptops are not sold in kits or as separate parts.  And, usually the only
things you can upgrade or replace are the ram and hard drive.
If you buy a kit to assemble it yourself, you will also need a tube of
thermal paste.  ... some basic tools (screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, and
ideally a couple nut drivers).  But don't be scared of it.  And, if you're
not sure, ask here.  I like laptops; but, you'll get more bang for your
buck on a desktop.  And, building it yourself gives you a hands on visual
concept of the computers components.  Oops, I've almost written a book
here.....