[SATLUG] OT: Help w-hardware diagnosis

Don Wright satlug at wricomp.org
Wed Aug 29 10:50:20 CDT 2012

Alan Lesmerises wrote:

> I tried a few other things and found that
>if I installed a single drive only, it would power-up.  In fact, when I
>had the drives removed, then inserted the 2nd drive, it shut down.

I'd expected someone who has one[*] would have answered already, but here's the
generic response.

Is it an orphan or can you find the docs with a Web search?

Perhaps a BIOS configuration issue, or maybe existing info on the drives confuse
the RAID process. Can it be reset to factory defaults and tried with drives that
have been filled with zeros? (You said 'unused' drives but...)

I'd definitely want to get a console on it to see if the NAS is saying anything
useful.  --Don

[*] Make and model could have helped a bit. Maybe next time.

--
A computer is a hole in your desk you pour time into.