[SATLUG] Disk I/O charts.

Enrique Sanchez esanchezvela.satlug at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:47:31 CST 2012

I am not sure I understand the question, knowing the disk i/o patterns
on the server or whether the disk i/o activity is concentrated in a
couple of drives out of the many a server could have helps us make
better decisions when moving the data around on the server, when
possible.

Now, most of the tools I've dealt with when it comes to show the disk
I/O activity, they create line charts of the data captured by the
different performance gathering tools, like sar, iostat, nmon, etc...
the only issue is that line charts with 20 or more devices tend not to
be easy to understand.

With diskheat tool what I attempt to accomplish it to present, in a
single pane of information the disk I/O activity for all disks on the
server.

best regards,
enrique sanchez.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Joe <null.div.zero at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on the significance of such information?
> On Dec 4, 2012 9:44 PM, "Enrique Sanchez" <esanchezvela.satlug at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> for a long time I struggled to find an easy and quick method to
>> visualize the diskio patterns on our customer's servers, findally
>> after leaf through several books around a well known bookstore I
>> bumped into a pretty cool tool called Processing, after several
>> periods of intense work and neglect, I finally released the code and
>> idea to the wild:
>>

>> http://code.google.com/p/diskheat/
>>

>> It pretty much creates a heat map of the DISK %BUSY as reported by a
>> performance gathering tool written by IBM (and open source for Linux)
>> but it is pretty trivial to change it to use a different source of
>> information.
>>

>> best regards,
>> Enrique Sanchez.
>>
>> ps.... don't say anything about the code too much :) it is a mess.
>> --

Enrique Sanchez Vela