[SATLUG] Rolling your own router w/Linux (questions)

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 10:58:50 CST 2012

I'm running a NetGear router, it does 2.4ghz and 5ghz BGN.  I have port forwarding, MAC address filtering, reserving IP's based on MAC addresses..nothing out of the ordinary.  Even though its about a year old I have various issues with it when it comes to XBox online gaming.  I've had to reset the router, re-enter all my config info and it works for a while, then flakes out, rinse, repeat.

So.... I figured I'd just build my own router but have a few questions and need some clarification on my thinking.

I am assuming my system that I find will have either by default or I upgrade, 2 gigbit NICs and a WiFi card.

How I will set it up (need review of people that know):

1. Cable modem ----> into gigabit NIC #1 in Atom based system, out on NIC #2 ---> Switch

2. Some servers ---> into Switch

3. WiFi systems (XBox 360, Wireless security system etc) ---> into WiFi card that I install into the Atom based system.

I understand how to accomplish #1 and #2 but am confused on #3.   All I need is a Linux compatible wireless card and voila?  I now have a wireless AP to connect to?  So if I install a Wireless AC card (USB or PCI if its out) then now my homemade "Linux router" supports wireless AC?

Please clarify oh smart folks of SATLUG!

As always, very appreciative....

Alex