[SATLUG] Re: Ubuntu wireless passwords

Katie resourcefulsquirrel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:31:51 CST 2012

Howard -
Thanks for the reply.

I am not using wicd Network Manager.  I have just been using the 'average' or 'standard' way of connecting to wifi that comes with the Ubuntu distribution.  I can probably set it up (with my Linux abilities being the limiting factor), but I am not 100% sure why I am doing so/what it would gain for me.  Would the purpose of wicd just be to do a better job at managing my connection to wifi than the default network manager that comes with Ubuntu?

Is there anything special I should know about installing/using wicd?  I'm going to set up another system to try installing and using wicd before switching to it on my current system - I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks.
Katie

> Hi, all-
>
> I am fairly new to using Linux, and I have a Ubuntu system (running 11.10, although I had the same problem with 10.04) that does not remember my wireless password.  Other than moving in to the office where the system is set up and re-entering the password overtime it logs off the wireless router (a wired connection is not an option), I don't know how to make it 'remember' the wireless password so it can stay logged in.  I need this to be 'up' as close to 100% of the time as possible.
>
> Any advice?  Is there a Ubuntu setting that I am simply missing?  Perhaps this is an issue that I am simply using the wrong terminology when I try to Google for a solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Katie--

Are you using the Wicd Network Manager?  If so, there should be a
Refresh button at
the top when you bring up the GUI tool.  When you click on refresh,
you will see all
available WiFi nets.  Open the Properties menu for your network and enter the
pass key for your brand of encryption (hopefully WPA2).  Does any of
this fit your
situation?

Howard