[SATLUG] SATLUG Distribution Poll

Rabie Khabouze rabie at rabie.net
Sat Feb 25 13:44:59 CST 2012

Hi folks,

I wanted just share my experience with Linux/Unix.

I do use gnome 3 with fedora 16 at work and home, it was a hard transition but got used to it. it is wonderful to use... some of the features that gnome 2 had you can either create a short cut or run them from a command line, especially GUI based configurations.

I m running Ubuntu Studio on a Zotac machine with XBMC hooked up to a tv ( I use this box just for Multimedia stuff )

I had another remote box at UTSA running Mandriva with KDE 4, I used most of the time nomachine to access it, which I recommend for folks who access Linux machines with X forwarding

I have 1 Centos 6 at home running Webserver and DB  for web dvpt purposes.

1 Centos 5.7 running Elastix (Asterisk + FreePBX )

VMs ( Fedora 16, Debian, OpenSuse, FreeBSD, Google Chrome, Ubuntu Mint ) for m2m dev purposes.

Worked in the past with Sun Solaris, OpenSuse Enterprise, IBM Aix and SGI for Simulation.

I liked FeeBSD the most for its stability..

Centos as server for Web and DB

Fedora 16 + gnome 3 for it's GUI and Software packaging.

Ubuntu for Multimedia

Cheers.

Rabie K