[SATLUG] group permissions

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:11:18 CST 2012

Chuck wrote:
> My name is Chuck Lowe.  I Just signed up today.  I am relatively new to
> Linux and I am presently using Ubuntu 11.10 on my machine.  I am in the
> midst of studying permissions and group management.
>
> I can't seem to get a handle on the understanding of how the computer
> interacts with the users in a group. Is there a book out there that can
> describe the structure of a group and how it provides security ?
>
> In other words I'm looking for a source that can show me step by step
> what takes place when you setup a group.  How it works, and why the
> group provides more security than single users working on a project
> individually.

The group is just a list of user IDs.  The permission system allows
access to non-owners of a file via the 'group' and 'other' permissions.
  If the permissions of a group allow access and you are in the group,
then it allows you to have access.

You may want to just google 'linux permissions' for a starting point.

   -- Bruce