[SATLUG] A few more privacy questions

Michael Endsley michael.endsley at collegeplus.org
Tue Feb 28 20:42:38 CST 2012

cdv,

There are several worthwhile tutorials for using GnuPG at the command line
(handy knowledge), but there are several good frontends to it, too, that
make it painless to use for those who favor GUIs. There is a Windows
version of gpg that can be found at the following address:

http:// <http://www.gpg4win.org>www.gpg4win.org

It is quite easy to use in my experience (I had to set up a temporary
system for Windows-based users to be able to receive and decrypt encrypted
files recently). And GPG encryption is the same across the board, so
someone with a Windows implementation should have no problem practicing the
same encryption and decryption used by a Linux GPG user.

As for graphical frontends for Linux, I know they exist, but I haven't ever
used one. Likewise, while I know plugins and tools exist that specifically
help you quickly send emails encrypted this way, I've never used one.
Therefore, while I'm sure that they're as easy to use as the default
interface(s) Gpg4win provides for Windows, I wouldn't be able to give you a
tutorial on them specifically. A working knowledge of how to use gpg at the
command line will tell you everything you'll need to use it with a GUI
effectively, too. The official manual will take you through generating your
first keypair, exchanging keys with others, and encrypting/decrypting your
documents in the first chapter (not much to read). It might be beneficial
to also read the following two chapters on the concepts of how public key
cryptography works, and how to manage your keys.

http:// <http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>www.gnupg.org<http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>
/ <http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>gph<http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>
/ <http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>en<http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>
/ <http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>manual.html<http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>
#AEN26 <http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26>

That's what I've got as far as GnuPG, for now. If you have any additional
questions, don't hesitate to ask!

- Michael Endsley