[SATLUG] Changes in Linux

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 01:09:01 CST 2012

In monitoring the latest developments in Linux, it seems the upstream
developers have decided that having /usr mounted as a remote FS is no
longer needed.  The paradigm now appears that if /usr is a separate
partition, it must be mounted via initramfs *before* the kernel starts.

Since starting up something like nfs within an initramfs seems to be a
step beyond what is normally done, traditional capabilities seem to be
precluded.  I could be wrong about this, so I'd like to know if anyone
does it.

My first question is whether anyone uses a /usr partition separate from
/ any more, either locally or via network?

   -- Bruce