[SATLUG] kvm networking

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 22:58:40 CST 2012

Greg Swift wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 19:58, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The biggest problem with the www.linux-kvm.org docs is that they assume
>> that you are using RedHat or Debian.  I'm trying to get down to the program
>> level instead relying on scripts that make assumptions that don't match my
>> system.

> I've got to disagree, cause as I was reading the page I linked to and I
> was thinking how unlike Red Hat the instructions were, so I re-read your
> original email and realized you likely weren't using RH and so linked to
> it.

The page gives references to "Red Hat's way", "Debian's way", and
"SuSE's way".  That implies they are not settings, but only parameters
to the specific scripts.

>  Red Hat relies upon scripts in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> directory and debian relies upon the /etc/network/interface for
> configuration.  Neither are referenced in that page.  It just tells you how
> to specifically add the bridge interface utilizing the brctl, which as you
> surmised is apart of bridge-utils.
>
> To create a bridge like this on my Fedora box all I did was:
>
> [root at myboxen network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-br0
> DEVICE=br0
> TYPE=Bridge
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPADDR=192.168.200.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0

I'm pretty familiar with this.  LFS used to model their scripts like the
RH ones, but I rewrote them all for LFS-7.0 to make them a bit less
confusing.

The above translates to:

ifconfig br0 address 192.168.200.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

and tells the scripts to set it up on bootup.  It probably creates the
bridge too, but I'm not as familiar with that.

My host is LFS-7.0 and the client, for now, Fedora 16.

   -- Bruce