[SATLUG] kvm networking

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 23:51:23 CST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 22:58, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg Swift wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 19:58, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>  The biggest problem with the www.linux-kvm.org docs is that they assume
>>> that you are using RedHat or Debian.  I'm trying to get down to the
>>> program
>>> level instead relying on scripts that make assumptions that don't match
>>> my
>>> system.
>>>

>  I've got to disagree, cause as I was reading the page I linked to and I
>> was thinking how unlike Red Hat the instructions were, so I re-read your
>> original email and realized you likely weren't using RH and so linked to
>> it.
>>

> The page gives references to "Red Hat's way", "Debian's way", and "SuSE's
> way".  That implies they are not settings, but only parameters to the
> specific scripts.

It does.  Under the public bridge section.. which I did not reference.  You
only talked about host -> client communication so I pointed you at the
private bridge.

So public bridge solution 1: using distro sysconfig script.... but then
there is solution 2: manual.

And if you have your scripts behaving similarly to the br0 setup as you
suggested, then you would just attach your eth0 equivalent as the
underlying interface to the bridge interface:

device=eth0
bridge=br0
onboot=yes
hwaddr=whatever

and the following iptables rule:

/sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged -j ACCEPT

and that would put it on the regular network pulling an IP from wherever
the host machines does, and also allow your ssh session.

-greg