[SATLUG] July 12th, Thursday Meeting

Wes Henderson whendersonii at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:16:43 CDT 2012

So, assuming that you already have the drivers, I typically use CUPS for
printer management and networking; to the best of my knowledge it is on all
popular Linux distros.

     * Open up browser.
     * go to 127.0.0.1:631
     * From there you can manage your printers; step 1, make sure they are
listed

To set up the printers on the
network<http://127.0.0.1:631/help/sharing.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=>
:

     * $ sudo cupsctl --share-printers
     * $ sudo cupsctl 'BrowseLocalProtocols="cups dnssd lpd smb"'
     * $ sudo vi /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (or use whatever text editor suits
you)
     * Search for 'BrowseAddress' and put the address to broadcast the
printers from, ex. 192.168.1.52:631
     * Restart CUPS (or computer)

Is this the kind of information you are looking for?

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Geoff <w5omr at att.net> wrote:

> Its always been difficult for me to make meetings and now that I'm in
> Houston its damn near impossible.
>
> That being said, could someone have a discussion on an easy, simple,
> fool-proof way to connect a printer up in Linux?

*Wes Henderson*
IT Consultant
Email: whendersonii at gmail.com

Find me on my website: weshenderson.info
And elsewhere -
     Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/118217301983867537201/posts>
     Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/wes-henderson/41/3b7/a96>
     Twitter <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?screen_name=whendersonii>

"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity." -
Dennis Ritchie