[SATLUG] July Meeting - Thursday, the 12th

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 22:20:53 CDT 2012

>Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
>on Fri Jul 6 16:34:20 CDT 2012 wrote:
>
>Howard Haradon wrote:
>> Hi,  We have had some suggestions about possible topics,
>> but lack discussion leaders.
>
>> * A mini how-to for creating ram disks (I might be able to
>>    get something going on this, if there is interest.)
Pieces are need for bits/nibbles/bytes to generate interest.

>sudo mkdir /mnt/ram
>sudo mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /mnt/ram
>cd /mnt/ram
Given Bruce's response I'll assume that this isn't a Ford
or Dodge radio w/ dvd/cd option discussion.
I'll stay away from the cramfs stuff, since it's not near
the typical semester finals time; which still leaves several
approaches/variations to the above.
Good luck with kernel versions prior to 2.4 (hardware options
not withstanding)

state the case (ramdisk):
{
Option #0:
http://www.schmut.com/cheat-sheets/linux-ram-disk
> sudo mkdir /ramdisk
> sudo mount -t tmpfs none /ramdisk -o size=256M,mode=1777,noexec,nosuid,nodev
See http://www.ihelm.org.uk/2010/04/resizing-ram-disk-in-linux-devshm/
for resizing

Option #1:
http://mist.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/blog/?p=263 has a simpler method
or short howto -> http://linuxaria.com/pills/ram-disk-on-linux?lang=en
a) > sudo vim /etc/fstab
b) Locate or create the line of /dev/shm
# e.g. 512MB:
tmpfs      /dev/shm      tmpfs   defaults,size=512m   0   0
c) To make change effective immediately without a reboot
> sudo mount -o remount /dev/shm

Option #2:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-create-linux-ram-disk-filesystem/ )
You can create the ram disk as follows (8192 = 8M, no need to format
the ramdisk as a journaling file system) :
> mkfs -q /dev/ram1 8192
> mkdir -p /ramcache
> mount /dev/ram1 /ramcache
> df -H | grep ramcache

Option #3:
1) > sudo init 0
2) do hardware install of physical ram w/ ide/sata/pci/epci
   or other appropriate interface.
   e.g.http://www.ramsan.com/products/rackmount-flash-storage/ramsan-630
       http://techreport.com/articles.x/9312
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/high-performance-ram-disk-emulator
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815168001
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hyperos-dram-hard-drive-block,1186.html

3) Format/mount the ram like any other file system.

Option #4:
1) > sudo init 0
2) Install removeable hard drive interface
3) "Ram" the disk into removeable hard drive interface (before or after boot)
4) After boot, format/mount disk with suitable command

Option #5:
Actual stock PC ram disk setup:
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html
Using a RAM disk :
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November1999/article124.html

Option #6: for kernels prior to 2.4
Use Rapiddisk (or other ramdisk/cache links) :
http://rapiddisk.org/index.php?title=Main_Page (or other related ramdisk links)
This permits swappable ramdisks/caching, unlike standard RAM mounted systems.
Other "links" listed on the above page pertain to RamCloud /
CompCache / dm-cache / Bcache / flashcache
Compcache http://code.google.com/p/compcache/ is an in memory swap
disk (compressed)
Temp disk space would be another good canidate usage for a ram disk.

}
end state case(ramdisk)