[SATLUG] encryption

Jonathan Kelley jonkelley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:37:57 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Borries Demeler <
demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> Due to loss of private health information through laptop thefts the UT
> system has mandated that all laptops and portable devices be encrypted,
> or have them be surplussed.
>
> I have a few questions concerning those of us who use Linux on their
> laptops:
>
> 1. is there a noticable performance penalty (esp. on slower laptops)
> when encrypting the entire disk, incl. the operating system?

I've not seen any noticeable. I have not performed benchmarks.

> 2. would it make sense to only encrypt the /home partition?

Yes. Unless you store private data outside of /home
 Because you must assume there is some performance degradation in reads and
writes, and makes no sense to slow the OS so you can encrypt /usr/lib