[SATLUG] IBM 5140 Convertible

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:44:05 CDT 2012

>On Jul 23, 2012 2:44 PM, "Bruce Dubbs" <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Joe wrote:
>> So, I just acquired one of these.  Its in great shape and I'd like to get a
>> Linux or BSD (something with a c compiler) on it. ...  well,  there's no
>> persistent storage, aside from a pair of 720kb floppies.  It's an 80c88
>> processor with 256kb of RAM and a modem. Any recommendations?
>
>DOS.  Linux never ran on anything less than a 80386.
Bruce, IMHO, I think you need to check and see if there's a virus
on your computer that's substituting "Windows" for Linux. :)

Ummm... I know one can hardware upgrade an original C64 to 286 speeds,
but Lunix does run nicely on a standard stock c64 running at 1Mhz.
Obviously, not a stock distribution.
But...
http://hackaday.com/2012/04/17/emulating-arm-on-an-8-pin-avr/
http://hackaday.com/2012/03/28/building-the-worst-linux-pc-ever/
does allow for a "stock" linux distro running on a very slow machine.

I think one would have an easier time buildin one's own
8088 laptop && porting linux to it (hardware easier to obtain)
http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~reckert/sbc.htm
So, sticking to the "speedy" hardware at hand (given the above
hardware of course :).

General reference :
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Convertible
  http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/IBM_Convertible
Hardware specs : http://www.vintage-computer.com/ibmpcconvertible.shtml
  4.77Mhz machine!
  Is the modem in the expansion port, leaving the serial port open?
Upgrade reference : http://flylib.com/books/en/4.52.1.14/1/

Lots of nifty "XCSSA.org" potential here.

Linux Terminal : http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/
    If you're looking to speed things up, could do a modem or serial
    connection to an ardruino/rasberry pi/ipad/ <insert your portable
    computer here> with "wifi".

Browse the web w/ dial-up using linux && lynx:
   http://elks.sourceforge.net/ will run in 200k, leaving 64k!
   Tiny core linux and μClinux(search on Mclinux) might fit the bill too!
   The linux version for the ez-430 runs in 256k!

Retro-BSD : Although, you'll have to compile/get it to run.
   It'll only use 128k of the 256k memory!
   Maybe, tinyx without swap?
   http://code.google.com/p/retrobsd/wiki/About

QNX off a floppy! : Couldn't find valid link :(

Craig