[SATLUG] The *easiest* video streaming

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Wed Jul 25 17:40:30 CDT 2012

I must admit that my email was so vague as to be almost useless.

I really just wanted a way for my GF to be able to watch films when I
wasn't around.

The restrictive firewall was a remnant of when I had a friend living
with me who was running windows. I had locked down most LAN traffic
unless specifically allowed. Port 8080 the default VLC streaming port
was included.

A few questions about your desire to stream (your 100% DRM free it's all
legal) material:
1.) Stream or share?

If share, setting up ftp (or even NFS) would be a good bet.  As far as
streaming, your ISP probably limits your up bandwidth substantially -
making streaming less enjoyable for viewers.

What port were you streaming out of?
Is that port commonly blocked - port 80? port 8080? Try picking a random
high number port 9934 etc and making sure your router routes the wan
traffic to that port to your home computer.

What sources outside of your network can you not connect to?