[SATLUG] The *easiest* video streaming

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 22:34:57 CDT 2012

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> ... I can get some flash within my browser to work with
>gnash, but several (many) places seem to insist on Adobe.  For example, CNN.

There was a lively discussion[1] on Debian that illustrates some of
the difficulties. There are two Flash formats; the earlier is handled
with gnash and the later with lightspark. Unfortunately lightspark is
not as good as HTML5, but HTML5 is not offered by most sites if a Flash
player is available. With Flash in decline and HTML5 rising, a good case
can be made to leave both gnash and lightspark disabled if possible.
HTML5 support in Firefox (AKA Iceweasel) is uncertain.  --Don

       2012 Texas Linux Fest
      August 3-4, San Antonio
  http://2012.texaslinuxfest.org/