[SATLUG] XEN VGA PASSTHROUGH

mark mark at kandm-solutions.com
Mon Jun 4 04:07:29 CDT 2012

So I got a new board with a few PCIE slots and a six core processor a
while back. Just realized that it has IOMMU capability (ASUS M5A99X
EVO). Got XEN 4.1 up and running on it with the iommu enabled. Gonna try
and get that VGAPASSTHROUGH stuff working. I got a Geforce 9800 and a
GTX 460. Hopefully one of them will work. I'd like to get a linux dom
running on one card and a window dom on another, both with good 3d
acceleration. Throw a kvm switch in there and be able to go back and
force without having to reboot. Not sure how to deal with getting audio
on both yet. I don't have an available pci slot for another sound card
so? Maybe a usb sound card?

Here is a snippet of my xm dmesg

(XEN) AMD-Vi: IOMMU 0 Enabled.
(XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
(XEN)  - Dom0 mode: Relaxed
(XEN) ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
(XEN)  -> Using new ACK method
(XEN) Platform timer is 14.318MHz HPET
(XEN) Allocated console ring of 16 KiB.
(XEN) HVM: ASIDs enabled.
(XEN) SVM: Supported advanced features:
(XEN)  - Nested Page Tables (NPT)
(XEN)  - Last Branch Record (LBR) Virtualisation
(XEN)  - Next-RIP Saved on #VMEXIT
(XEN)  - VMCB Clean Bits
(XEN)  - Pause-Intercept Filter
(XEN) HVM: SVM enabled
(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected.
(XEN) Brought up 6 CPUs
(XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***
(XEN)  Xen  kernel: 64-bit, lsb, compat32
(XEN)  Dom0 kernel: 64-bit, PAE, lsb, paddr 0x1000000 -> 0x205f000
(XEN) PHYSICAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
(XEN)  Dom0 alloc.:   0000000420000000->0000000428000000 (4046001 pages
to be allocated)

After reading the VGAPASSTHROUGH wiki, it may be a good idea to get an
AMD card. I'll update when I have made some progress.