[SATLUG] distccd, this time running in a 32 bit Sabayon VM

Steev Klimaszewski threeway at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 10:56:55 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Christopher Lemire
<christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello SATLUG, Because of all the potential problems I came across with
> distcc in my other setup, I decided to install 32-bit Sabayon into
> VirtualBox and use it strictly for distccd. It should solve many of my
> problems I would of had using Fedora for distccd.
>
> 1. No cross compiling needed.
>
> 2. All the instruction for distcc are written for Gentoo mostly.
> Sabayon is Gentoo based and has emerge, etc.
>
> 3. Exact same gcc versions
>
> 4. Sabayon because it has an installer. I should be able to put it in
> a VM faster without Gentoo's long process. I don't need Gentoo
> optimized for a VM that's not going be running at all times.
>
> Now I am facing another problem I could use some help with. The
> Sabayon installer is freezing every time at this same exact part of
> the installer.
> http://www.imagebanana.com/view/k6ogq1o5/Sabayon_Installer.png I
> had also tried creating a partition table by using fdisk to create a
> 512mb swap. this hasn't seemed to solve the problem.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire at gmail.com>
> Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0
>
> Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE
> C69F 18B3 E13B 0909
>
> Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
> Jabber: recursivequicksort at jabber.org

Hi Christopher,

If all you are doing is distcc on the install, why not just a
stage3+kernel+distcc (note: if you turn off gtk/gnome since you're
just using it to compile on this, it shouldn't take a few hours to
compile at all, since you don't need that front-end.)

I'm not sure about the issue with the Sabayon installer at all, have
you tried the Sabayon channel on irc (irc.freenode.net)?