[SATLUG] Python

Estevan Pequeno estevan.pequeno at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 18:56:26 CDT 2012

Learn python the hard way is a great suggestion. I learned with Think
Python: how to think like a computer scientist (
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/ ). Totally free of cost.

I like the book since it offers a gentle introduction to major topics in
computer science. If you're already comfortable programming in another
language then LPTHW would probably be better to get you used to python
idioms quickly.

As a general tip: solve project Euler problems  (
http://projecteuler.net/) to get used to "thinking" in the language
you are trying to learn. Start
with an implementation using a language you're already familiar with then
solve again using python. Some problems are really easy while many require
a firm understanding of algorithms and data types.