[SATLUG] Ruby Work Environments on Ubuntu 12.04

Michael Endsley michael.endsley at collegeplus.org
Sun Jun 24 15:23:55 CDT 2012

Hey folks,

I'm starting some personal projects for which I've decided to use Ruby, and
for simplicity's sake (so I can worry about productivity and not squeezing
out the most performance/customization) I'll be running on Ubuntu 12.04.
Does anyone in the group have links to some great Ruby environment setups
on Ubuntu, or have their own setups to share? I figure now is as good a
time as any to really learn the usefulness of Vim, but what plugins are
generally accepted as the most useful here? I use it at work a lot, but I
use shamefully little of its potential -- even ignoring or forgetting many
of the useful shortcuts. Share your thoughts, any and all!

As for what the projects are, for the curious, they are as follows:

1. A tool that will allow you to write an email and, depending on who
you're addressing it to, check to see if you have a public encryption key
(gpg) associated with that address, and if so, automatically encrypt it
before sending it.

2. A tool that will manage public/private key pairs for use with
authenticating to a website that uses key pairs instead of passwords for
access to any of its services (I will also be creating the test service,
hopefully with a friend already fluent in Ruby on Rails).

I'm well aware that things like this may already exist/the projects may be
unnecessary and useless, but I want the experience. It seems like fun!

--
Michael Endsley | IT
Skype: michael.endsley.cp
CollegePlus - Supervisor’s Email: kevin.bridges at collegeplus.org