[SATLUG] Ruby Work Environments on Ubuntu 12.04

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Sun Jun 24 19:57:26 CDT 2012

On 06/24/2012 03:23 PM, Michael Endsley wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm starting some personal projects for which I've decided to use
> Ruby, and for simplicity's sake (so I can worry about productivity
> and not squeezing out the most performance/customization) I'll be
> running on Ubuntu 12.04. Does anyone in the group have links to
> some great Ruby environment setups on Ubuntu, or have their own
> setups to share? I figure now is as good a time as any to really
> learn the usefulness of Vim, but what plugins are generally
> accepted as the most useful here? I use it at work a lot, but I use
> shamefully little of its potential -- even ignoring or forgetting
> many of the useful shortcuts. Share your thoughts, any and all!
>
> As for what the projects are, for the curious, they are as
> follows:
>

> 1. A tool that will allow you to write an email and, depending on
> who you're addressing it to, check to see if you have a public
> encryption key (gpg) associated with that address, and if so,
> automatically encrypt it before sending it.
>
> 2. A tool that will manage public/private key pairs for use with
> authenticating to a website that uses key pairs instead of
> passwords for access to any of its services (I will also be
> creating the test service, hopefully with a friend already fluent
> in Ruby on Rails).
>
> I'm well aware that things like this may already exist/the projects
> may be unnecessary and useless, but I want the experience. It seems
> like fun!

Sounds like a good set of projects to work on :)

I've just picked up a book "Building Awesome Command Line Apps in Ruby"
http://pragprog.com/book/dccar/build-awesome-command-line-applications-in-ruby

I can recommend it as a good read for figuring out how to build an
awesome Command Line App :) It's got some tips and techniques that
aren't just ruby specific, and also includes how to do it in Ruby.

And I picked up rails using this book:
http://pragprog.com/book/rails4/agile-web-development-with-rails

However, the ruby ecosystem is quite a bit different than it used to
be, so maybe there's sufficient tutorials on the internets that you
can use instead. I liked having the books and walking through a sample
application that someone "is building with me." It helped me focus on
figuring out the way things get done, and how they work together,
rather than finding a tutorial on the internet that didn't suck.

As far as environments:

* RVM 100%
* I use RubyMine, because I like it a lot. Some people use gedit, and
others use VIM. I started with VIM, and then tried out RubyMine, stuck
with RubyMine. I still occasionally open up ruby scripts to hack on in
vim, so it's not gone.

I don't think there's anything else one needs. Use ruby 1.9 don't use
ruby 1.8.*

If you want to take advantage of the massive amount of java libraries
to accomplish something, and don't mind the overhead of a JVM, JRuby
is quite fantastic. It also has no Global Thread Lock, so you can do
some very powerful threading there if you want. Rubinius offers no GIL
as well, but isn't quite as stable iirc. I don't think Rubninius 2.0
is out yet, and that would be needed to support ruby 1.9 syntax.

Vim plugins: Pathogen is supposedly the best way to manage vim
additions. I just use a symlinked .vimrc and .vim dirs from my
dropbox. I mean to switch to pathogen eventually, but I haven't gotten
around to it. https://github.com/tpope/vim-pathogen

TPope has a lot of really good VIM stuff for enhancing ruby and rails:
* https://github.com/tpope/vim-rails/
* https://github.com/tpope/vim-haml
* https://github.com/tpope/vim-markdown

Hope that helps,