[SATLUG] Linux from Scratch -- Build to run in VirtualBox

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 20:10:43 CDT 2012

Travis Mosley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How do I build Linux from Scratch to run in a virtual machine inside
> VirtualBox? The host system is Fedora 17 x86_64, so I'd also want to
> build Linux from Scratch for the x86_64 architecture. Is such a build
> possible? How do I make sure I can move it into a virtual hard disk
> using a FUSE filesystem to mount the Virtual Disk Image? Also, should it
> build using the latest packages?

You need the virtual system to boot to a standard system.  Then from
there, just follow the instructions carefully.  The only LFS issues for
a virtual system are in how you configure the kernel.

I'm not sure what you mean about moving it.  You can tar up the entire
LFS system and move it somewhere else, but the drivers on the
destination system would be different.  Generally, we recommend building
LFS with no (or minimal) kernel modules.

For a first time user, you should use the latest stable release.

You can get more comprehensive help by subscribing to the lfs-support
mailing list.  http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-support

   -- Bruce