[SATLUG] Problems starting X

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 12 20:53:39 CDT 2012

I recently put together a new system and installed openSUSE 12.1
(64-bit), and it seems to be having trouble when it tries to start X.  I
can see the initial boot menu options (Default, Failsafe, Boot from
Floppy), but when I select the default option, the screen goes black, I
can see the little round cursor do it's thing for a few seconds, then I
might see something like a character-mode cursor in the lower left
corner of the screen.  By that point, the system is locked-up -- I can't
switch to a CLI log-in screen, or anything else for that matter.  I
checked the X logs, but I didn't see anything that might suggest what's
going on, and I don't know where else to look.

However, if I pick the Failsafe option (or include "x11failsafe" as one
of the boot-up parameters), I can get it to start-up and it seems to
work ok.

I've checked the X wiki and the openSUSE forums, but nothing seems to be
on-point.

I really consider using the "x11failsafe" parameter just a band-aid and
that the real problem is still there, so I'd like to figure out how to
fix it.  Can anyone give me some recommendations?

The system specs for the system are as follows:
     ASRock 990FX Extreme/4 motherboard
     AMD FX 8120 CPU
     8 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
     EVGA e-GeForce 7100GS (nVidia-based) video card