[SATLUG] Problems starting X

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Mar 12 21:07:25 CDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:53:39PM -0500, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> I recently put together a new system and installed openSUSE 12.1
> (64-bit), and it seems to be having trouble when it tries to start X.  I
> can see the initial boot menu options (Default, Failsafe, Boot from
> Floppy), but when I select the default option, the screen goes black, I
> can see the little round cursor do it's thing for a few seconds, then I
> might see something like a character-mode cursor in the lower left
> corner of the screen.  By that point, the system is locked-up -- I can't
> switch to a CLI log-in screen, or anything else for that matter.  I
> checked the X logs, but I didn't see anything that might suggest what's
> going on, and I don't know where else to look.
>
> However, if I pick the Failsafe option (or include "x11failsafe" as one
> of the boot-up parameters), I can get it to start-up and it seems to
> work ok.

Does it start up in X when you use the failsafe option, or do you just
get a text terminal?  I would adjust your /etc/inittab by first logging
in in text mode, to make sure the system will come up in text mode when
first booted up and then solve the X issue. You can start X from the
commandline by just saying 'startx'.  But before trying X, I would download
the latest NVidia driver for your card and install it (make sure you
get the 64-bit version if X11 is 64-bit) to make sure you are using a
compatible X driver. It is quite likely that your current X driver is
not compatible with your card. Nvidia's website should have the right
driver for your OS.

-b.