[SATLUG] Problems starting X

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Tue Mar 13 23:56:27 CDT 2012

On 3/12/2012 9:07 PM, Borries Demeler wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:53:39PM -0500, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
>> I recently put together a new system and installed openSUSE 12.1
>> (64-bit), and it seems to be having trouble when it tries to start X.  I
>> can see the initial boot menu options (Default, Failsafe, Boot from
>> Floppy), but when I select the default option, the screen goes black, I
>> can see the little round cursor do it's thing for a few seconds, then I
>> might see something like a character-mode cursor in the lower left
>> corner of the screen.  By that point, the system is locked-up -- I can't
>> switch to a CLI log-in screen, or anything else for that matter.  I
>> checked the X logs, but I didn't see anything that might suggest what's
>> going on, and I don't know where else to look.
>>
>> However, if I pick the Failsafe option (or include "x11failsafe" as one
>> of the boot-up parameters), I can get it to start-up and it seems to
>> work ok.
> Does it start up in X when you use the failsafe option, or do you just
> get a text terminal?  I would adjust your /etc/inittab by first logging
> in in text mode, to make sure the system will come up in text mode when
> first booted up and then solve the X issue. You can start X from the
> commandline by just saying 'startx'.  But before trying X, I would download
> the latest NVidia driver for your card and install it (make sure you
> get the 64-bit version if X11 is 64-bit) to make sure you are using a
> compatible X driver. It is quite likely that your current X driver is
> not compatible with your card. Nvidia's website should have the right
> driver for your OS.
>
> -b.

Yes, it does start up in X with the failsafe option, and I could live
with that except I get the impression that some functionality would be
lost if I did.

I had tried to load the proprietary nVidia drivers (using the openSUSE
software management tool), but that caused a whole host of problems and
wouldn't run at all, even with the failsafe option.  Actually, the
openSUSE forums said there are now some pretty good open-source drivers
for nVidia cards that are believed to be more robust than the "fragile"
(their term) OEM drivers.

I'll research doing a manual install of the OEM drivers and I'll let you
know how that comes out.

Al Lesmerises