[SATLUG] Problems starting X

Pete Wojtaszek wojox at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 14 00:53:32 CDT 2012

ACPI BIOS issues. The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into
the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and
registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X
driver when the X server starts..

This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot)
screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen.
Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with
a *black screen*.

Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video
drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

Once your up and running zypper in your nvidia drivers.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Alan Lesmerises
<alesmerises at satx.rr.com>wrote:

> On 3/13/2012 9:11 PM, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
>
>> Have you installed the nvidia drivers yet?  Fairly simple to do and might
>> solve your problem.
>>
>> Take a look at the below link and let us know how it goes.
>>
>> http://www.geforce.com/**Drivers/Results/41581<http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/41581>
>>
>> Bottom of the page for Suse users.
>>
>> Also note that SuSE users should read the SuSE NVIDIA Installer HOWTO
>> before
>> downloading the driver.
>>

> Not yet (see previous post).  I did see the How-To already, but I will
> check the GeForce site out, though.  Thanks.
>
> Al Lesmerises

Best viewed from Mozilla.