[SATLUG] Re: [XCSSA] Fwd: [10BitWorks] Eimac vacuum tube hands-on presentation next Saturday the 24th

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 18 11:46:03 CDT 2012

Geoff wrote:

>On 3/17/2012 10:30 PM, Thomas Weeks wrote:
>> Ignorant folks might laugh at that type of presentation.. but vacuum tubes
>> still have a very important reason for being in tech. Besides good sounding
>> hifi and guitar amps.. they're also used in many very high power radio
>> broadcast systems.
>> Tweeks
>
>Overseas Shortwave broadcast stations, maybe.  TV and Radio stations in
>the US were mandated to go 'digital'.
>Solid state transmitters, using Pulse-width or pulse duration modulation
>schemes are the de facto standard across -our- great land.
>-Geoff/W5OMR

The latest netcast of This Week in Radio Tech has a "nickel tour" of a
transmitter site and mentions the connection between tubes and quality.
It's a "war stories" episode among radio engineers - other shows have
featured famous industry people and the technology that keeps it
working.  --Don

Download video or audio here:
http://www.twit.tv/twirt/