[SATLUG] BASH script not writing to file

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:32:24 CDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM, John Champion <satlugacct at jchampion.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone ever encountered an instance where a BASH script, written in
> Debian, will not write to a text file where both script and text file were
> on a virtual machine?
>
> I am using Debian on a VMWare platform. When I use the script on a Debian
> dual boot, the script writes fine but when I try this in the virtual
> environment, something changes and I can't tell what.
>
> Thanks
> john

Double check all of your file paths in the script and your
environment, as well as file/directory permissions.  Make sure that
you're using absolute paths where possible.  Also make sure that
you're running the same version of bash and that you're not really
using dash, which is the new default for /bin/sh.  If you are using
any bash'isms then you'll get unexpected behavior.