[SATLUG] Hosting a Gitorius website/repo

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Sun May 20 18:18:54 CDT 2012

I've been wanting to host my own Gitorius website/repo ever since I
found out that it is open source, and that GitHub is closed source
(sounds ridiculous because GH advocates FOSS). I have my programming
projects on GH but want future ones on my own Gitorius.

I am running CentOS release 6.2 (Final) on an unmanaged Rackspace
cloud slice. I read the guide in the link below. I get to the
paragraph right before the commands start, and it says to disable what
I believe are some important system services such as disabling DNS
lookup, cron task scheduler, etc. Even if I did not write any scripts
or commands for cron to run on this server, cron still runs other,
probably important, tasks by default. Do I really need to disable all
those services to install and run Gitorius? I am ok with disabling
sendmail, bluetooth, and gpm.

http://famousphil.com/blog/2011/06/installing-gitorious-on-centos-5-6-x64/

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE
C69F 18B3 E13B 0909

Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
Jabber: recursivequicksort at jabber.org