[SATLUG] Nightmare on Raid 5 Street

Marc Ripley misteratomic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 18:33:04 CST 2012

I came to my machine the other day and came across a failed raid.  I
attempted to reassemble the raid but it would eventually fail one of the
drives.

I replaced the drive and began the rebuild.

Mdadm calls the raid clean but degraded.
I removed the drive and placed the spare in the chassis.
It begins it's auto rebuild.

A few hours later, it craps out kicking yet another drive as bad.

Nope, it's not Raid 6 so I'm out of luck.

What I don't understand is that I have access to all the data as a degraded
device and I saved the little bits needed.  However the array will not
survive a rebuild eventually kicking out the second suspect drive.

Possible solutions:

Should I try to duplicate "dd" the drive that starts out good but
eventually fails to a good drive and stick it in as if it were the original
and then attempt the rebuild?

I can afford to loose the majority of the data as it's really just movies
and recorded television and I have backed up the important stuff (photos,
documents and home videos).  Albeit Terra-bytes worth of stuff that
represents a large multimedia library.

What about diagnosing the rebuild.  Is there a log file?
Sorry, I know I can search this but I'm a little dejected.

Thanks.

--
Marc