[SATLUG] ecryptfs question

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Oct 7 18:00:56 CDT 2012

I have installed ecryptfs on computer1 and can successfully use it
there. I installed the ecryptfs utils and also hardcoded the ecryptfs
support into my kernel.  Checking /proc/filesystems I can verify that
there is support for ecryptfs.

Now, when I copy the entire system to a different computer (computer2,
also 32-bit dual core), run the same kernel, identical /usr, /lib,
etc. I can no longer mount a directory. I am trying to figure out what
I am missing.

On computer1 I can do:

mount -t ecryptfs ~/encrypted_dir ~/encrypted_dir
Select key type to use for newly created files:
 1) passphrase
 2) openssl
Selection:

On computer2, I get:
mount -t ecryptfs ~/encrypted_dir ~/encrypted_dir
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /root/documents,
       dmesg | tail  or so

dmesg tells me:
[ 2948.307624] Error parsing options; rc = [-22]

Checking /proc/filesystems on computer2 I can verify that
there is support for ecryptfs.

Does anyone have a clue what to check next? The software
on both computers is identical, configuration is only
different for the network and video.

Thanks, -b.