[SATLUG] 67 TB for less than $8K

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:16:34 CDT 2012

Brad Knowles wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> The difference is that I can afford to build one of these POD
>>> arrays myself and add 3T drives as needed.  The entire price for
>>> one without drives is about $2K and then increasing 3T at a time
>>> for $120 for each drive.
>>
>> That's another false economy.
>
> Here's a question for you -- could you afford a Ferrari that cost
> just $2,000.00?  Could you afford to put the engine and transmission
> back in it?  Could you afford to fix it?  Could you afford to run it
> after you got everything fixed?  Could you afford the fuel and the
> insurance once you got it back to running condition?
>
> Not everything is about the up-front purchase price.  There are lots
> of hidden costs here that you will want to fully explore.  If you
> choose not to fully explore those costs before you pull that trigger,
> you might very well be very happy for the first few days or weeks,
> but then quickly left with Buyer's Remorse.
>
> I like the idea of Open Source Hardware as much as the next guy, but
> I also try to make sure that the particular implementation is
> actually suitable for the applications I have in mind, and I try to
> look at the TCO as opposed to the up-front purchase price.

But the beauty of the solution is that parts are cheap.  There's no
expensive Ferrari engine or transmission.

Also, the follow up report was that Hitachi drives failures were at 1%,
not 5%.  The failure rate included infant mortality, so the burn in time
provides a good screening of bad drives.

In the case of single unit, there are some places without redundancy
(e.g. the motherboard), but the power supplies are redundant and a
single unit could be set up with multiple RAID arrays.

I'm not going to build one of these things because I don't need it, but
I would suggest it to an employer with a limited budget but a need for a
large amount of disk space to try out and develop actual experience with
the concept from both a technical point of view and from a cost
perspective.

   -- Bruce