[SATLUG] Setting dns to opendns

Don Wright satlug at wricomp.org
Fri Oct 26 14:10:37 CDT 2012

Marek Garst wrote:
>I unplugged both the modem and the router to restart them. I can see on my router page two TWC dns addresses and one of two of my opendns addresses listed. My router is supposed to have disabled use of any address except what I entered in the configuration.

You may need to update the firmware on your router (if this is considered a
significant bug by Belkin) or replace it with a device that supports DD-WRT or
similar open software that will give you more control. Commodity devices are
designed to minimize support calls, so handling of such edge cases as not using
the ISP DNS settings are relegated to check boxes on a review form. (Whether it
actually works is seldom verified by a reviewer.)  --Don