[SATLUG] Setting dns to opendns

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Oct 27 22:49:49 CDT 2012

On Oct 26, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Marek Garst <mgarst60 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, was searching and found linksys v4 with tomato firmware (strange huh) that is supposed to have a lot of features like blocking specific addresses. I'lll have to see if will point to the right dns.
> A linux box with 2 cards may be able to configure what I need too, or perhaps a small linux appliance?

You don't need two cards.  Just about anything running some variant of Linux or *BSD should be able to be configured to cache DNS responses and forward DNS queries to whatever upstream nameservers you want to use.  Some distributions will make that process easier than others, but the box itself could most likely even be one of the tiny "gumstix" models (about the size of a typical USB key) and still be plenty for what you're likely to need.

The more important thing is what hardware do you have easily available to you, because I think that may constrain your choices more than anything else.