[SATLUG] Setting dns to opendns

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Oct 28 16:34:16 CDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Marek Garst <mgarst60 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok. I was thinking along the lines of a hardware firewall/dns  pointer/website blocker for  between the cable modem and wireless router. Has anyone looked at the configurability of the raspberry Pi that's been discussed?

If you do want to do a full-on firewall/router with integrated DNS and DHCP server, there are some distributions oriented towards making that sort of thing easier to install and configure, but from the looks of things the Raspberry Pi should be capable of doing pretty much all the same functionality with their supported versions of Fedora, Debian (Raspbian?), or ArchLinux (see <http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs>).  You should be able to do the same with a Linksys running DD-WRT or Tomato.  Obviously, different options will involve different pieces of software and different configuration methods and choices.

So, there are lots of options available to you, and the question now is which one(s) are you interested in pursuing?