[SATLUG] Open Source Project

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 05:54:33 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Nathan Oxhandler <nathan at gvtc.com> wrote:
> In the last week since the meeting we have had only one reply on doing an open source project.  Is a Calendar the wrong thing to do?  Does anyone have a project that we would want to do?  Do we not want to do any such project?

If there's already a program or several out there that do it, then you
probably don't want to create another one unless the program will be
better than the existing ones.

Really I think a better idea is to create similar software Windows has
that Linux has no equivalent software. For example, I was tired of
rebooting (dual boot) from Linux to Windows to use Second Speech
Center, so I created this.

http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/2012/05/jspeak-ultimate-in-linux-text-to-speach.html

https://github.com/bullshark/jspeak

It's fast, compact, doesn't include a bunch of features I never used
in the Windows software. And after using 2nd Speech Center so much, I
saw some areas that could be improved, and I did that in my software.