[SATLUG] Firefox grief

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 11:37:29 CDT 2013

hc at lookcee.com wrote:

> Hi Daniel, thanks but here is results:
> herb at herb-SDA1 ~ $ sudo ps ax |grep firefox |awk '{print $1}'
> [sudo] password for herb:
> 4779
> herb at herb-SDA1 ~ $ kill -9 4779
> bash: kill: (4779) - No such process
> herb at herb-SDA1 ~ $ sudo ps aux |grep firefox
> [sudo] password for herb:
> herb      4855  0.0  0.0   4388   808 pts/0    S+   11:12
                                        0:00 grep --colour=auto firefox
> herb at herb-SDA1 ~ $ kill -9 4855

You are now trying to kill grep and that has exited already.

> bash: kill: (4855) - No such process
> herb at herb-SDA1 ~ $ sudo kill -9 4855
> kill: No such process
> herb at herb-SDA1 ~ $ sudo kill -9 4388
> kill: No such process
> herb@
>

> I then tried the firefox launch but got the still running
> message everything I have tried has not worked so only
> way to use firefox is via CLI as root
>
> This is a hard core bug.

Try this:

Close all windows.
On the command line:
   cd ~
   mv .mozilla .mozilla.sav

Now try to start it again.  If that works, then there is something in
the ~/.mozilla directory that is causing the problem.

   -- Bruce