[SATLUG] Light version of Linux

Steev Klimaszewski threeway at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:59:50 CDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Christopher Lemire <
christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:

> The best way to end up with the most optimized distro I have found is
> through Gentoo Linux. But you will not end up with the most optimized
> without spending time on it. You need many - (minus) USE flags that are

USE="-* <enable the ones you want here>"

> used to compile your software. A kernel built from make menuconfig where
> you only add support for your hardware directly into the kernel rather than
> a module helps. And of course using light weight software such as fluxbox,
> uzbl-tabbed browser, etc. will make a difference. It's a distro that each
> person who installs it will not have exactly the same, one you build up
> from scratch, and not extra software you don't need.

I highly suggest not using it if you're not really familiar, OR you're
unwilling to do some reading.  We have quite a bit of documentation, but if
you're not scared of IRC, there are also a lot of channels dedicated to
Gentoo where you can get help if you run into issues.  I'm also more than
willing to answer any questions (as long as I actually know the answer)

Disclaimer: I've been a Gentoo developer since November 2005.  It can be a
great distro, but it's definitely not for everyone.