[SATLUG] stumped

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 21:57:12 CST 2013

Borries Demeler wrote:
> Folks,
> I am stumped after an upgrade, I lost ethernet and wireless on an older
> Dell latitude, and am not sure why. dmesg shows the modules loading fine,
> and recognizing the hardware, ditto in lspci -v. But trying to configure
> eth0 or wlan0 is impossible. Here is the output, I would appreciate if
> someone has some ideas of whatelse I could check. Strangely, when I boot
> with the rescue disk ethernet works just fine. Must be missing something
> here...

You can always see what the system has identified with

ls /sys/class/net

Newer versions of udev name the interfaces in a different way than most
of us are used to seeing:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

This is another case of the 1% dictating something the 99% don't need.
In LFS, we create a udev rule to overcome the issue:

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", \
ATTR{address}=="00:25:64:38:ec:dd", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", \
ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

Fill in the mac address for your own ethernet card.  Actually. we have a
script that does this for us, but a manual update works fine too.

   -- Bruce