[SATLUG] stumped

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Dec 6 06:46:54 CST 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 09:57:12PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Borries Demeler wrote:
> >Folks,
> >I am stumped after an upgrade, I lost ethernet and wireless on an older
> >Dell latitude, and am not sure why. dmesg shows the modules loading fine,
> >and recognizing the hardware, ditto in lspci -v. But trying to configure
> >eth0 or wlan0 is impossible. Here is the output, I would appreciate if
> >someone has some ideas of whatelse I could check. Strangely, when I boot
> >with the rescue disk ethernet works just fine. Must be missing something
> >here...
>
> You can always see what the system has identified with
>
> ls /sys/class/net

Thanks, Bruce, this little bit is indeed very helpful, I was not aware of it.

> Newer versions of udev name the interfaces in a different way than most
> of us are used to seeing:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
>
> This is another case of the 1% dictating something the 99% don't need.

I have to agree.

> In LFS, we create a udev rule to overcome the issue:
>
> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", \
> ATTR{address}=="00:25:64:38:ec:dd", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", \
> ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

Yes, I have precisely this rule (different MAC address of course) for each device.

> Fill in the mac address for your own ethernet card.  Actually. we have a
> script that does this for us, but a manual update works fine too.

Slackware sets up this rule automatically for each new device added to the system.
This is what caused my initial problem since when I moved the install to a different
laptop it added two new devices, one for eth and one for wlan, now with serial number "1".
So now I have 4 rules in my rules.d dir, one for each unique MAC address.

-b.