[SATLUG] The Real Story Behind Wayland and X

danielwallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Wed Dec 11 23:40:58 CST 2013

If you actually want to know what went on with the announcement, I know that about 30 minutes after the release, the logs in #wayland a were posted on r/Linux if I remember correctly. From what I saw and understood, canonical was on a time crunch for Ubuntu phone, and couldn't gets its input stack stuff into Wayland fast enough to meet a time crunch, so they needed a display server that they actually maintained.... But instead of just conforming and listening to the Wayland style guide, they made their own. They also, in their originally published faq about mir, misrepresented and pointed out flaws in the Wayland input stack, that in reality they just didn't understand.

http://pastebin.com/KjRm3be1

This one, I believe.