[SATLUG] Grub

Steev Klimaszewski threeway at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 15:34:30 CST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM, ARS W5OMR <ars.w5omr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Had an issue with the electricity here a couple of days ago - no idea why,
> on a clear, sunny day, the electricity would 'blink' a couple of times.
> Nothing else in the house was effected, except for (tada!) *my* computer.
> Specifically, an aging harddrive.
>
> The ONE instance of /boot/grub/menu.lst found was on (hd4,0), which (as I
> see it) sde1.  sde1 does, indeed, have a boot flag, is a reiserfs and is
> the 30gig WD that -was- (in 2007) the boot drive for the server.
>
> Looking through the filesystems on the drives, I found that the latest date
> was on (hd3,3) [or, sdd2) of 29 August 2012.  But, under /boot exists
> /boot/grub and /boot/grub2.  and no boot flag.
>
> I've gotten to this point and I -think- I'm at my limit-point where I'm
> asking for help in how to restore grub on /dev/sdd2 without losing all the
> information on that drive.
>
> I -hope- I've given enough information.
>
> Any thoughts on a grub rescue?
>
> -Geoff
> --

You should be able to chroot into the linux install that was correct, and
use the grub installation from there.

What Linux distro were you running?  It should be as simple as running
grub2-install /dev/sdd (assuming sdd was set as the boot drive in bios) to
install it, and everything else should just work.