[SATLUG] kvm problems

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Dec 21 12:37:46 CST 2013

I am trying to get kvm to run on my laptop (intel I7 with vmx extensions)
and am running into issues trying to run virt-install to set up a new kvm image.
I have downloaded and installed from source all the relevant libraries and programs,
so that libvirtd (ver. 1.2.0) starts up without error, virtualization is enabled in the bios
(multiple power cycles after enabling), and the kvm-intel module is loaded.

Yet, when running a command like

virt-install -r 2048 --accelerate -n win7 -f /home/kvm-images/win7.img --cdrom /dev/cdrom

I keep getting: ERROR    Host does not support any virtualization options

In fact, it doesn't matter what command line option I give to virt-install,
the error is always the same.

I searched google to no avail (so far). Some suggestions say that RHEL versions were
mixed to cause this problem, but my laptop is a 03/13 slackware-current64 distro installed
that is kept updated (64-bit with 32-bit extensions). Other suggestions are the lack of
virtualization support in the bios or cpu, both of which I checked to be in order.
Kernel module is loaded and /dev/kvm exists. There are no libvirtd errors logged.

Any ideas?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas everyone!

-Borries