[SATLUG] kvm problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 15:59:59 CST 2013

Borries Demeler wrote:

> I am trying to get kvm to run on my laptop (intel I7 with vmx extensions)
> and am running into issues trying to run virt-install to set up a new kvm image.
> I have downloaded and installed from source all the relevant libraries and programs,
> so that libvirtd (ver. 1.2.0) starts up without error, virtualization is enabled in the bios
> (multiple power cycles after enabling), and the kvm-intel module is loaded.
>
> Yet, when running a command like
>
> virt-install -r 2048 --accelerate -n win7 -f /home/kvm-images/win7.img --cdrom /dev/cdrom
>
> I keep getting: ERROR    Host does not support any virtualization options
>
> In fact, it doesn't matter what command line option I give to virt-install,
> the error is always the same.
>
> I searched google to no avail (so far). Some suggestions say that RHEL versions were
> mixed to cause this problem, but my laptop is a 03/13 slackware-current64 distro installed
> that is kept updated (64-bit with 32-bit extensions). Other suggestions are the lack of
> virtualization support in the bios or cpu, both of which I checked to be in order.
> Kernel module is loaded and /dev/kvm exists. There are no libvirtd errors logged.

kvm has been incorporated into qemu.

Try the instructions at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/qemu.html

the instructions for installing a distro are there, but afterwards I
create a script to run with all the options.  For instance, to bring up
my debian instance I use:

$ cat start-deb2.sh
#!/bin/bash

SUDO=sudo
[ $EUID == 0 ] && SUDO=

$SUDO qemu -enable-kvm -boot c \
            -drive file=/mnt/qemu1/debian2.img,if=virtio \
            -m 2G \
            -net nic -net tap -machine accel=kvm

Getting networking up can be tricky.

   -- Bruce