[SATLUG] kvm problems

Mark Mayfield mayfield_mark at gvtc.com
Sun Dec 22 11:14:06 CST 2013

I don't know if it affects Windows clients very much but I've read that
using hugepages helps. I implement it in the libvirt guest xml file.
Also you may want to play around with the hard drive controller format
options (IDE, SATA, libvirt). Their is a disc out there, I believe on
the Fedora KVM page for a floppy image with the libvirt drivers on it
you can use during install to detect the libvirt hard drive (in
Windows). I'm also aware of a nasty bug that was out there for certain
qemu/kvm versions where using two logical cpu's in the guest would slow
the machine to a crawl. If you're using two try running it with 1 or 3.
The libvirt drivers can be buggy to. I recently had to revert a couple
of guests off of libvirt due to crashes. Video I think is the biggest
factor in speed. SDL is very good but you get no remote access to it.
Spice/QXL works really well although it crashes guests in some
instances. Cirrus would be third. Several guests on the same machine and
lots of disk access by other services could cause problems also. Do you
have lots of RAM? Make sure you have enough for the host and all the
memory you allocate to guests.